One Hundred & Sixteen Year History of The Tampa State Bank
February 19, 1901 – February 19, 2017
The Tampa State Bank was chartered by the Kansas Banking Board on February 19, 1901. The incorporators were members of the Sidney G. Cooke family of Herington, Kansas. They founded the Bank of Herington in the late 19th century. The only local stockholders were P.H. and J.C. Meehan and Edward Assmann. They each owned one share, and the other 47 shares were owned by the Cooke family and W.C. Kandt of Herington.
The Meehan family acquired controlling interest in The Tampa State Bank in 1919. They and their heirs owned the controlling interest until 1972 when their stock sold to Edward J. Costello and Mary K. Costello. The Costello family has owned the majority interest in the bank since then.
In November of 1979, the bank moved to new quarters at 4th and Main where the bank is now located. A new modern banking structure, 70’ x 44’ with a drive-up window was built on the site of the Tampa Motor Car Company.
The Chase County Bank was acquired in 1984. The Chase County Bank was merged into the Tampa State Bankshares, Inc. in 1986. The Chase County Bank was sold in 1992 to the Cottonwood Valley Bank.
In 1989, The Tampa State Bank opened a branch in Ramona, Kansas in the old Ramona State Bank building.
In 1997, the Kansas State Banking board authorized The Tampa State Bank to open a branch banking facility in Marion, Kansas. A new branch bank building was built at 1100 East Main Street in Marion. The new modern facility with a drive-up ATM and teller window was opened for business on April 1, 1998. The bank has had a substantial growth in total deposits and assets since then.
The Tampa State Bank is a community bank that has tried to serve all of its customers in Marion, Dickinson, Morris, and Chase counties. We employ local people who know all of our customers and we treat all accounts with confidence and respect. Our customers are our family, neighbors, and friends – not just account numbers.